Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cooking for a Nutritionally Blended Family

I am a vegan but my fiancé loves his meat. My 2 year-old eats meat as well because my fiancé views my vegan diet as insanely unhealthy and he fears that a vegan diet would be detrimental to our daughter’s health. Breakfast and lunch is usually easy during the week because he is at work while I am home with my daughter all day, however once dinner time comes around It can sometimes be difficult to please everyone. Weekends can present an even bigger challenge because we are all together for most meals. I have had to put a little bit of creativity into my meal plans but it seems to be becoming easier with practice. So, for anyone who may be dealing with the same situation here are a few vegan and omnivore friendly meal ideas:


Spaghetti is very simple, just split the sauce and add ground beef, turkey or meatballs to one. You could also serve over spaghetti squash instead of noodles.

Grilling is always the simplest because everyone can have what they want, steak for him, vegetable kabobs for me.

Fajitas are a great idea as well. You may have to split it into two pans but he can have steak or chicken in his and I can have mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and zucchini!

Setting up a sandwich bar is also very simple because you can set out all the ingredients and let each individual choose what he/she wants to pile on.

Individual pot pies are also a great meal, I plan to have that recipe up sometime next week.

As I come across meal ideas for the nutritionally blended family I will post them and I would love to hear and recipe ideas from anyone who cares to share them with me.

P.S. I know there are many vegans who would hate to read recipes like this that can be made to allow for meat because it would relate to animal cruelty, however my fiance and I have been together for a long time and we have a daughter together. I fell in love with him just the way he is. Just because I change doesn't mean he has to. I have a role as a 'wife' :) and a mother which includes cooking his meals even if we don't agree on what a person should avoid eating. I do however try to buy completely organic meat, although I know that not all companies who are labeled organic are humane, I do my best. I am only human and that is all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment